CASE has advised on the economics of competition, regulation and intellectual property issues in the chemical and pharmaceutical industries.
CASE combines expertise in economics with a solid understanding of the special features of the pharmaceutical and chemical sectors including the implications of government regulation and intellectual property rights on prices, innovation and market structure.
Recent assignments include:
- competitive assessment of pharma manufacturers move from wholesale to direct to pharmacy (DTP) distribution
- parallel imports of pharmaceuticals within the EU
- evaluation of proposed regulation of competition in generic drugs
- competitive assessment of alleged abuses of IHS’s proprietary drug database
- advice on the UCB/Schwarz pharma merger
- advice to the plaintiffs in the European Commission proceedings on alleged patent abuses
- calculation of overcharge damages in follow-on claims against members of the the European Vitamins cartel
- calculation of overcharge damages in a follow-on actionagainst a member of the European Polyurethane foam cartel
- competitive assessment, and expert report and appearance in High Court concerning bulk ethylene contracts
- pre-merger advice in relation to a proposed acquisition of heavy chemicals firm
- assessment of supply of acrylic resin in the UK as alleged infringment of Article 101TFEU